Friday, November 29, 2013

Interview with John Proctor


This interview was given to John Proctor as he sat in his jail cell

Reporter: why did you have an affair with your servant at the time, Abigail Williams?
Proctor: Well, people need to understand that I my wife was pregnant and I felt like I had no wife, as she had grown distant. I deeply regret my affair, and only hope God will forgive me.
Reporter: Why did you fiercely resist you wife's arrest when she had hard evidence against her that she was practicing witchcraft?
Proctor: I think not of my wife's alledged accusation. I think that it was Abigail's doing. If only she was still around to face justice.
Reporter: Do you feel ashamed that you were unfaithful to your wife?
Proctor: I feel the deepest shame and regret possible. I had my reasons, but nothing justifies adultery.
Reporter: What is your opinion of the numerous accusations of witchcraft the Putnams have made?
Proctor: I think that the Putnam's accusations were made out of greed and landlust. The Coreys Rebecca nurse are good people, and I think of it as absurd that they would even be accused for such a crime.
Reporter: Based off of your explanations, do you consider yourself a good christian?
Proctor: Nay, I cannot consider myself a good christian after commiting adultery. I try to do good deeds to compensate for It, but I believe that nothing can completely compensate for such a sin.
Reporter: Why do you think Abigail fled Salem with Mercy Lewis?
Proctor: I think she fled because she is a coward and a fraud. I think she wishes to escape the growing obvious fact that she was lying, and wishes to abandon the crisis that she caused.
Reporter: For what reason did you choose to confess your affair with Abigail in the courtroom rather than sooner?
Proctor: I was trying to protect my family. If I was the only one to take into consideration, I would have confessed it right away, but I had a family to look after.
Reporter: And now that you have confessed, what do you think will happen to your family now?
Proctor: My family innocent in every way. None of them should have to share the consequences with me, and their good name shall not be spoiled.
Reporter: What do you think of the cause of these witch trials?
Proctor: I think that the girls wanted to escape the consequences of their crimes, so they pointed the finger elsewhere. I think not that they are true Christians, and that justice is in order for causing these contentious trials.
Reporter: As a final question, do you think there are witches in Salem?
Proctor: Nay, I believe that this whole issue was stirred up by the the girls' scapegoat of being possessed. If there truly were witches, then why have none been proven? If there were witches, one of them would surely be caught and proven guilty. I think the people who have confessed have done so under the fear of death, and that they have chosen the self-preservation route as opposed to the good christian route, and may God have mercy on their souls.

written by: Sam Melvin, English CP III

No comments:

Post a Comment