Friday, November 29, 2013

Interview with Harry S. Truman


          Harry S. Truman was the 33rd President of the United States, and was in office from 1945-1953. Truman was born in Lamar, Missouri and spent most of his youth years living on his family's farm. His most significant achievements were ending World War II, passing the Marshall Plan to help rebuild Europe, and passing the Communist Control Act. He also oversaw the Berlin Airlift, the recognition of Israel, and the creation of NATO. There were also numerous scandals during his presidency, such as the charges of corruption in his senior office.

Reporter: What are your views on the Berlin Airlift, and what prompted you to drop supplies on the cut-off portions of the city?
Truman: Well, there was much time and energy put into this decision, and I wanted to stay as neutral as I could in the standoff.
Reporter: And what are your views on General Clay's proposition to send an armoured column to difffuse the situation?
Truman: Well, actually I'm glad you brought that up. I think sending an armored column would just further escalate the standoff. It could have ended in violence, and a stalemate would just complicate things further. I think dropping supplies to the cut-off West Germans shows the Soviets that we won't back down or be intimidated by our enemies, but also prevents the issue from escalating further.
Reporter: What are your views on the recognition of Israel in 1948, and why did you shoose to recognize it as it's own nation?
Truman: Well, the Middle-East has always been an interest of mine, and it's history has fascinated me since I was a young boy.
Reporter: And what was your reason for recognizing it yourself?
Truman: Well, like I once wrote earlier, Hitler had been murdering Jews right and left. I saw it, and I dream about it even to this day. The Jews needed some place were they could go. It is my attitude that the American government couldn't stand idly by while the victims Hitler's madness are not allowed to build new lives.
Reporter: How do you think you managed to pull off the election of 1948, even though odds seemed to be stacked against you?
Truman: Well, my approval ratings were dwindling at 36%, but I managed to win a few swing states, and I think that's what sealed my victory.
Reporter: What was the reason for your response to the soviet's first atomic bomb detonation in 1949?
Truman: Well, I think staying one step ahead of your competitor is important. If we can create a Hydrogen Bomb, we still have an edge over our enemy and our citizens can sleep more safelt at night.
Reporter: Why did you choose to send troops to aid South Korea in 1950?
Truman: I think we need to stop the spread of communism at all costs, especially if it threatens our allies. If the Korean peninsula goes, than it may create a chain reaction, and I also think we need to establish that we will defend democracy at every turn.
Reporter: What were your reason to fire General Douglas MacArthur?
Truman: I fired him because he wouldn't respect the authority of the President, not because he was a dumb son of a bitch, which he was. If that was the case, half to three-quarters of them would be in jail right now.
Reporter: Do you think that Soviet spies were responsible for the soviet union gaining the knowledge to construct an atomic bomb, and the fall of the Nationalist Chinese party in 1949?
Truman: Personally, I think that they may have had something to do with their exploding of an atomic bomb, but I am somewhat skeptical about their involvement in the fall of the Chinese National Party. Although it is plausible, I don't think the Soviets would have spies that far and wide.
Reporter: What was your reason for adding an additional balcony to the whitehouse, as you might know, has become fairly controversial?
Truman: Well, many cracks and structural faults have been discovered, as it hadn't undergone maintenance in over 130 years. With all the renovating, why not add an extra feature or two?
Reporter: And what is your response to the accusations of corruption in your senior cabinet in 1950, many of whom were reported to have been rewarded with "wine coolers and fur coats" for favors?
Truman: To my knowledge, there is no apparent corruption in my senior cabinet. My senior cabinet are of utmost integrity, and any rumors of corruption are just publicity stunts.
Reporter: Well, that question wraps up this interview. Thank you for your time, and this will help your stories reach the public,
Truman: No problem, I'm always happy to help the general public understand my motives for the choices I make.  
 
written By: Sam Melvin, English CP III


No comments:

Post a Comment